Preparing for Mobile Learning – Part I "Performance Support"

Preparing for Mobile Learning – Part I


What is Mobile Learning?  When I think about mobile learning, m-Learning, and what my clients within the organization mean when they talk about it can really be broke down into 3 categories of thought.  The first two seem to be the most common when working with clients outside of the L&D environment.

Visible via mobile platform:  These clients are typically driven by the platform being used and not necessarily the “Mobile” approach.  In cutting costs on having multiple devices some groups are moving to tablets to reduce overhead, lifecycle management and meet the demands of their users.  The main concern when is comes to learning is that the content previously accessible to the associates is still usable via their mobile device. 

Same content but taken outside of normal workspace:  The next group is trying to utilize all available time an associate has and allow for learning to occur during those downtimes to be as effective as possible.  There is a lot of value to this approach, especially if your intended audience is not typically sitting behind a computer all day.  I recently redeveloped some senior leadership training that was focused around learners who managed multiple locations and was on the road the majority of the time.  I wanted to have training available to them that they could pull down to their device and take when/where they wanted.  I went even further with this group and designed the content to be pulled down when they had external access to information and allowed them to take the training offline and push back the status the next time they were “online”.  Now our learners can pull their learning down, take their training while on that long flight and push back to the system their progress the next time they connect to the network.  We now have hours of downtime turned into uptime.   

Both Quinn (2000) and Pinkwart, et al. (2003) defined m-learning as “e-learning that uses mobile devices”.  This is the mindset that we are challenged with on a daily basis.  I like to use an example I personally had one day while brewing craft beer at home.  I was modifying an IIPA recipe when I needed to know how many ounces there was in a gallon.  I didn’t go online and begin a course on unit conversion or a cooking course on modifying quantities to increase or decrease quantities, I simply picked up my mobile device and asked Google how many ounce in a gallon.  In less than a second I knew there was 128 ounces in a gallon and I was able to quickly go back to the task at hand.  This is what I consider “Performance Support”.

Performance support:   Here is where I get really excited about the possibility of Mobile Learning.  We already have our e-Learning content and our facilitator led training, but what happens post learning.  We no longer need to carry cheat sheets of unit conversion with us to brew beer, we just need to know where to go and get the information.  Performance support isn’t designed to teach entirely new concepts to learners but to support the knowledge they already have and to add to it.  I see a lot of examples online about performance support and sales.  You are sitting in your car outside a client’s office and you know this sale is going to be hard to close.  You pull up your sales training performance support designed content and quickly find “5 quick closing pitches for a tough client”, you review the companies recommended pitches and head into your meeting.  Notice I said “quickly”!  Performance support is very dependent on speed to information.  Just look at the apps on your phone right now.  Are any of the apps you use on a regular basis complicated to use?  Do you need to spend several minutes to get the information you are trying to find?  Most likely not, or you would have deleted that app and found another one that does it better. 

There is a lot more involved with the types of mobile learning and things to consider when determining what your needs are, but there are plenty of books out there that cover this.  My goal is to get you thinking about the bigger picture.  Below are two links to books I would recommend reading on Mobile Learning.



https://www.td.org/publications/books/mastering-mobile-learning

No comments: